The Advanced Level is based on the Foundation Level knowledge and provides more thorough expertise based on the respective material. It is divided into three modules: Test Manager, Test Analyst (previously called Functional Tester) and Technical Test Analyst (previously called Technical Tester). Participants have the option to pass an exam upon completion of each module.
The Test Manager module comprises the following components:
Test Management, Reviews, Error and Deviation Management, Test Optimization Process, Test Tools, Team Composition.
The Test Analyst module (previously called Functional Tester) comprises, among others, the following components:
Test Processes, Selection and Application of Test Processes, Functional Testing Techniques, Blackbox Tests, Reviews and Roles.
The Technical Test Analyst module (previously called Technical Tester) comprises, among others, the following components:
Test Process, Specification Based and Structure Based Test Processes, Static and Dynamic Analysis, Test of Software Properties, Test Tools: Selection, Evaluation and Introduction.
Please download the Advanced Level syllabus here:
An Advanced Test Manager can:
- TM1 Manage a testing project by implementing the mission, goals and testing processes established for the testing organization.
- TM2 Organize and lead risk identification and risk analysis sessions and use the results of such sessions for test estimation, planning, monitoring and control.
- TM3 Create and implement test plans consistent with organizational policies and strategies.
- TM4 Continuously monitor and control the test activities to achieve test project objectives
- TM5 Assess and report relevant and timely test status to project stakeholders
- TM6 Identify skills and resource gaps in their test team and participate in sourcing adequate resources
- TM7 Identify and plan necessary skills development within their test team
- TM8 Propose a business case for test activities which outlines the costs and benefits expected
- TM9 Ensure proper communication within the test team and with other project stakeholders
- TM10 Participate in test process improvement initiatives
An Advanced Test Analyst can:
- TA1 Perform the appropriate testing activities based on the particular software development lifecycle being used
- TA2 Determine the proper prioritization of the testing activities based on the information provided by the risk analysis
- TA3 Select and apply appropriate testing techniques to ensure that tests provide an adequate level of confidence, based on defined coverage criteria
- TA4 Provide the appropriate level of documentation relevant to the testing activities.
- TA5 Determine the appropriate types of functional testing to be performed
- TA6 Assume responsibility for the usability testing for a given project
- TA7 Effectively participate in formal and informal reviews with stakeholders, applying knowledge of typical mistakes made in work products
- TA8 Design and implement a defect classification scheme
- TA9 Apply tools to support an efficient testing process
An Advanced Technical Test Analyst can:
- TTA1 Recognize and classify the typical risks associated with the performance, security, reliability, portability and maintainability of software systems.
- TTA2 Create test plans which detail the planning, design and execution of tests for mitigating performance, security, reliability, portability and maintainability risks.
- TTA3 Select and apply appropriate structural design techniques to ensure that tests provide an adequate level of confidence based on code coverage and design coverage.
- TTA4 Effectively participate in technical reviews with developers and software architects applying knowledge of typical mistakes made in code and architecture.
- TTA5 Recognize risks in code and software architecture and create test plan elements to mitigate those risks through dynamic analysis.
- TTA6 Propose and implement measures for improving the security, maintainability and testability of code by applying static analysis.
- TTA7 Outline the costs and benefits to be expected from introducing particular types of test automation.
- TTA8 Select appropriate tools to automate technical testing tasks.
- TTA9 Understand the technical issues and concepts in applying test automation