The Expert Level comprises a variety of specialized topics and targets professional software testers who are highly experienced in the discipline.
The following syllabi have been released:
The syllabi and parts are defined as follows. For each part a seperate exam is available.
Exam dates can be found here.
Part 1: Strategic Test Management
Part 2: Operational Test Management
Part 3: Managing the Test Team
Improving the Testing Process:
Part 1: Assessing test processes
Part 2: Implementing test process improvement
The Expert Level extends the knowledge and experience obtained at the Advanced Level by providing in-depth, practically-oriented certifications in a range of different testing subjects. With Expert Level ISTQB® offers career paths for testers with clearly defined business outcomes.
Clear Business Outcomes
Each Expert Level module has clear business outcomes. These provide information to businesses concerning the expectations of an expert in a particular subject. The business outcomes map to the individual Learning Objectives in a particular module.
Achieving Expert Level
Criteria are set to ensure good and consistent quality of the Expert Level.
To obtain Expert Level certification, candidates must have:
• the Foundation Certificate
• an Advanced Certificate depending on the Expert Module desired
• passed the Expert Level Exam
• at least 5 years of practical testing experience
• at least 2 years of industry experience in the specific Expert Level topic
Note that the experience criteria may also be attained after taking the exam. It is recommended, however, that the candidate has gained this practical experience before taking the exam. If a non-public exam is to be taken, completion of Expert Level course is mandatory.
What skills does an Expert Level individual have?
An expert is a person with the special skills and knowledge representing mastery of a particular testing subject. Being a testing expert means possessing and displaying special skills and knowledge derived from training and experience and being able to apply that knowledge in real-life situations.
A testing expert is one that combines a broad understanding of testing in general with an in-depth understanding in a special test area. An in-depth understanding means sufficient knowledge of testing theory and practice to be able to influence the direction that an organization and/or project takes when creating, implementing and executing testing activities related to the special area.
Business Outcomes Expert Level ITP
The expert test process improver is able to perform each of the following tasks:
- Lead programs for improving the testing process within an organization or project and can identify and manage critical success factors
- Take appropriate business-driven decisions on how to approach improvement to the test process
- Assess the current status of a test process, propose step-wise improvements and show how these are linked to achieving business goals
- Set up a strategic policy for improving the testing process and implement that policy
- Analyze specific problems with the test process and propose effective solutions
- Create a test improvement plan which meets business objectives
- Develop organizationals concepts for improvement of the test process which include required roles, skills and organizational structure
- Establish a standard process for implementing improvement to the test process within an organization
- Manage the introduction of changes to the test process, including co-operation with the sponsors of improvements
- Understand and effectively manage the human issues associated with assessing the test process and implementing necessary changes
The following syllabi are in planning:
Please find the official ISTQB CTEL module overview here.
Please find the official ISTQB CTEL introduction here.
Expert Level exam structure and training
A certification scheme at Expert Level must meet the expectations and perceptions of its stakeholders and has to be seen to be truly "expert". A score above 65% is required to pass.
An expert must not only be able to show knowledge, but also in depth practical skills; as a consequence an exam only using multiple choice questions is not preferred. The exam therefore consists of two parts:
Part 1: Multiple-Choice
• Duration: 45 Minutes
• 25 questions
Part 2: Essay
• Duration: 90 Minutes
• Answer 2 questions out of 3
• Mostly higher level learning objectives
An Expert Level certificate is valid for 5 years.
It must be renewed using one of the following two options:
• Repeat the exam
• Achieve 200 "Certification Extension Credits" (CEC)
o CECs may be achieved in a number of areas. For example:
- Perform a professional testing activity
- Take a relevant training course
- Attend a testing conference
- Present at a testing conference
- Teaching a relevant training course
- Write a testing article or book
- Actively participate in a ISTQB® related Working Group (National Board, SIGIST, ISTQB®)
o Verifiable evidence must be submitted to the certifier
o The Certification Extension Program is published by ISTQB®
Exercises in the Workplace
Several learning objectives are identified in each syllabus which may be achieved in the workplace. Training Providers agree these exercises with participants before they are performed and must ensure that they have been completed satisfactorily. This concept allows training courses to be split into separate parts with workplace exercises in between and enables maximum practical benefit from the training.
EXAM LANGUAGE: ENGLISH
If you are interested to sit the Expert Level exam please contact us here.
Business Outcomes Test Management
The expert test manager is able to perform each of the following tasks:
- Lead the test management within an organization, project or program to identify and manage critical success factors with management commitment at CEO/Board level
- Take appropriate business-driven decisions on a test management strategy and implement organization wide commitment and compliance based on quality KPIs
- Assess the current status of the test management, propose step-wise improvements and show how these are linked to achieving business goals within the organizational context of test management (organization or project/program)
- Set up a strategic policy for improving the test management and the testing, and implement that policy in an organization
- Analyze specific problems with the test management and its alignment with other roles or management areas in the project/organization, and propose effective solutions
- Create a master test plan with matching governance dashboard to meet or exceed the business objectives of the organization or a project/program
- Develop innovative concepts for test management (project) organizations which include required roles, skills, methodologies (tools) and organizational structure
- Establish a standard process for implementing test management in an organization (project/program) with standardized delivery based on quality KPIs
- Lead an organization to improve the test management process and manage the introduction of changes
- Understand and effectively manage the human issues associated with test-project management and implement necessary changes